As I mentioned yesterday, the old Kilg.us system for generating and sending email boxscores would run up against usage rates on a daily basis, leaving some messages unsent. With the move to SendGrid, our cap is raised, which is a good thing. I removed the limits from Kilg.us. What I failed to identify was that all of those unsent email boxscores were still sitting in queue (almost a full year’s worth…). When I removed the limit in Kilg.us and told it to send, boy did it ever!
I logged into SendGrid this morning expecting to see ~470 boxscores sent this morning. Instead the count was nearly 4000! I frantically shut down the process to try to reduce the irritation any more than had already been caused. But a lot of messages went out to people that may not have been expecting them. For that, I am very sorry!
For some reason, these email boxscores have been the single biggest headache with Kilg.us over the years.
Anyway, I’m back in the code tweaking things up in hopes of avoiding another disaster tomorrow.
For all those that have emailed me over the last year about a missed boxscore email, I hope it showed up today! /badjoke
Seriously, though, sorry about the extra messages. I’ll try to make sure it doesn’t happen again.
I’ve made three changes to try to avoid this happening again:
1) I’ve cleared the email queue so nothing old even exists now.
2) I’ve capped the number of email boxscores Kilg.us will send tomorrow at 500. This is slightly higher than the number I think should be sent, so hopefully everyone gets their proper messages. If something goes wrong, though, the impact will be minimal.
3) I’ve updated the script that selects the emails to send to have it double-check that it is only pulling email boxscores generated in the current day.
Hopefully these three actions will prevent this from happening tomorrow. Nonetheless, I’ll be keeping a very close eye on things in the morning.