Kilg.us – Fantasy Stat Tracker …Tracker

A blog about the development of Kilg.us – The Fantasy Baseball Stat Tracker

Posts Tagged ‘delete team’

Two Days of Updates

Thursday, April 2nd, 2009

I quit working too late last night to post about the updates, so I’ll cover a couple days’ work now.

The biggest visible change was an update to the top site navigation. Previously, after logging-in, if you visited the home page or Tracker blog, there was no way to return to the system without logging-in again. Obviously, that was inconvenient. The home page and blog now both recognize an authenticated session and will display a new navigation link (that exists throughout the site now) to visit the Dashboard. This will get you back “into” Kilg.us without needing to log-in again.

The other big functional change is on the Add Player page. After receiving a report that adding a player was causing an alert in Firefox, I dug in to see what was happening. Unfortunately the alert was simply a slow script notice, not an actual error. What I ultimately determined was that the cumulative stat bubbles that I added the other day were causing an odd JQuery loop when the page is unloaded. Rather than trying to dig into JQuery to see what the problem was, I determined it could be alleviated by reducing the number of instances of the stat bubbles on the page. So the Add Player page now features pagination! Search results will be displayed 50 at a time with pagination links at the bottom of the page. This leads to quicker load times of the page, as well, so it seems like an improvement all-round.

Complicating the new Add Player pagination is the position filter. That filter literally filters down the players shown on the page, based on position.  All it really does is turn off the display of players that don’t match the filter. So, previously, changing the filter to a specific position would cause a display of all players at that position. Now, changing the filter will only show the players among the currently displayed 50 that match. This seems confusing to me, so I think I will need to re-write how it works.

On a non-visible vein, I’ve incorporated the functionality to allow Users to view other Users’ teams. This is a precursor to the social-stat-tracking concept I’ve been discussing. There is no interface to share your teams with other Users yet–the relationship has to be manually set in the database. There is a new relationship type, though. Originally a team only had one User related to it: the Owner who had total control to do anything with the team they wished. Now there is a Viewer User type. This User type can only view the team. They cannot change the team name, delete the team, add players, remove players, bench players, or change the team’s stats. I’m hoping to waste a good chunk of time this weekend working on social-stat-tracking. With a lot of luck, I’ll have something working by opening day.

On a reality-strikes front: the iPhone web app won’t be ready for opening day. Once life settles down a bit, I’ll try to get back to it later this Spring or Summer.

Lots of changes today

Wednesday, May 14th, 2008

There were a number of nice additions to the Fantasy Stat Tracker today. Among them:

  • Change team name – edit the name of a team you have created
  • Delete team – remove a team from your account
  • Linked player names – player names now link to the player’s MLB.com profile page
  • Google Analytics – added GA webstats to the site
  • View Team link – added a link to the “account nav” to link to your team’s stats page (or render a drop-down list if you have multiple teams)

I also moved the “home page” link from the footer up to the “blog nav”. So we now have links to the blog home page and the Fantasy Stat Tracker home page in the top left corner of the page. The addition of the “view team” link and the relocation of the home link already seem to make it a lot easier to navigate the tool. As I mentioned the other day, though, I’ll be continuing to look at the navigation architecture for the site.

Along with the additions mentioned above, I performed a number of minor code enhancements. I worked on better escaping of SQL strings to be sent to the DB and some advancements in auto-redirecting users about the site based on whether or not the user account has a team associated with it (or multiple teams). There is also a check in place now to prevent people from accessing teams’ stats for other peoples’ teams. Previously you could edit the Location bar to change the TeamID that was being passed and see other peoples’ teams. You wouldn’t have been able to make any changes, but you could view the team nonetheless. Now you can’t.

Most noticeably, I re-organized the home page and brought a log-on form directly onto the page. The Fantasy Stat Tracker home page content was re-written slightly to better explain the free nature of this project. Some advertising verbiage was also added to encourage people to sign-up for an account.